[Simh] PDP-11, RSTS/E, DECnet/E 4.1, DELQA

David Holland david.w.holland at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 07:19:28 EDT 2009

<snip>

> twisted in a maze that I'm at Witt's end. Maybe it's better to run each
> SIMH instance in a VMware VM and get symmetrical problems at least.
>
> Pity that libcap doesn't like the Microsoft Loopback device, I'm sort of
> assuming the VMware virtual adapters will work.

They will once you do the appropriate things to enable promiscuous mode:

http://www.vmware.com/support/ws5/doc/ws_net_advanced_linux_vadapter_promiscuous.html

(Yes, its WS5, but the steps are the same for newer Workstation, as well as
VMWare Server -  I'm not certain what's required for ESX.)

FWIW, I've successfully clustered VMS 7.3 VAX (under SIMH/Linux) + VMS 7.3
Alpha (under SRI's PersonalAlpha/WinXP) both running on the same VMWare
Server host.  DECNet to a 3rd Linux box on the LAN worked as well, so it
_IS_ possible.

The ethernet bridge utilities and another utility called "taptap" (
http://www.retrocomputinggeek.com/retrowiki/SIMHNetworking/ ) helps
significantly on the Linux side.

David