[Simh] PDP-11, RSTS/E, DECnet/E 4.1, DELQA

Wilm Boerhout w781 at planet.nl
Mon Apr 13 14:27:20 EDT 2009

David Holland vaguely mentioned on 13-4-2009 13:19:
> <snip>
>

>     twisted in a maze that I'm at Witt's end. Maybe it's better to run
>     each
>     SIMH instance in a VMware VM and get symmetrical problems at least.
>
>     Pity that libcap doesn't like the Microsoft Loopback device, I'm
>     sort of
>     assuming the VMware virtual adapters will work.
>

> They will once you do the appropriate things to enable promiscuous mode:
>
>  http://www.vmware.com/support/ws5/doc/ws_net_advanced_linux_vadapter_promiscuous.html
>
> (Yes, its WS5, but the steps are the same for newer Workstation, as
> well as VMWare Server -  I'm not certain what's required for ESX.)
>
> FWIW, I've successfully clustered VMS 7.3 VAX (under SIMH/Linux) + VMS
> 7.3 Alpha (under SRI's PersonalAlpha/WinXP) both running on the same
> VMWare Server host.  DECNet to a 3rd Linux box on the LAN worked as
> well, so it _IS_ possible.
>
> The ethernet bridge utilities and another utility called "taptap" (
> http://www.retrocomputinggeek.com/retrowiki/SIMHNetworking/ ) helps
> significantly on the Linux side.

Well, it definitely was the wireless adapters. I managed to pry my
daughter's computer from her hands for a while, and set up both laptops
with cables to my router. Adjacency was immediate. When either
connection was replaced by a wireless connection (to the same router) it
went dead as far as DECnet was concerned.

Thanks for the pointer to retrocomputinggeek, nice stuff there

/Wilm