[Simh] PDP-11, RSTS/E, DECnet/E 4.1, DELQA

Wilm Boerhout w781 at planet.nl
Mon Apr 13 05:50:28 EDT 2009

tiggerlasv at aim.com vaguely mentioned on 13-4-2009 11:05:

> Glad everything is working. . . .
>
> I don't recall the PDP-11 emulation NOT working on my wireless card;
> I'm pretty sure that it does, but I'd have to try it out again to be
> certain.
> (My PC is wireless, although a while back I connected it to the wired
> network
> to test something, and haven't switched it back yet.)
>
> The pared-down version is what I use for testing;
> I replaced the RA70 emulation with a custom emulation
> that I deemed the "RA78".   It provides a 2.1-gig disk,
> which is the maximum size supported under RSTS/E V10.x,
> unfortunately, it will hang a V9.6 system if you try it.
>
> I also kludged a 2nd TMSCP controller (TQB), to resolve
> the TMSCP support issue with RSTS/E.   (RSTS/E supports
> only 1 TMSCP drive per controller, so if you want TWO TK50's
> or TK70's, you need two controllers.   Since I'm not familiar at all
> with "C", it was easiest for me to duplicate the existing TQ driver,
> and plug in a different CSR. . . . )
>
> Now, if I could only "repair" the VH module, so that it doesn't
> show up as 4 controllers all the time, I'd be happy. . .

It all depends on the networking setup I presume. I'm now going into that.

I try to cram it all on one laptop having only one physical NIC (either
wired or wireless)

The latest setup with two machines was:

Window Vista x64 Business running

   1. SIMH VAX/VMS w/DECnet (Routing IV)
   2. Microsoft Virtual PC running Windows XP running SIMH PDP-11
      w/DECnet End-node

With Windump, I could see routing hello's and endnode hello's departing
from the VAX, and the VAX decided the adjacency with RSTS was up.
On the RSTS host (XP) I could see endnode hello's departing (the VAX
receiving them, hence the adjacency) but nothing DECnet ever arrives
back on RSTS, so no application level connection.

Of course there is the libpcap/winpcap restriction of not talking to
yourself, but I must say I've now got so many virtual network layers
twisted in a maze that I'm at Witt's end. Maybe it's better to run each
SIMH instance in a VMware VM and get symmetrical problems at least.

Pity that libcap doesn't like the Microsoft Loopback device, I'm sort of
assuming the VMware virtual adapters will work.

By the way, I found that wireless networking only worked
(SIMH/VMS/TCPIP) when I specified the physical wireless MAC address on
the SIMH "set xq MAC=" line.

/Wilm