[Simh] EXT :Re: Mouse capture on VAXstation II/GPX (KA630) simulator V4.0-0 Current

Supratim Sanyal supratim at riseup.net
Tue Mar 24 09:11:52 EDT 2020

Good morning Matt,

On 3/22/20 6:17 AM, Matt Burke wrote:
> The combinations on lines 3 and 5 are invalid. VAXstation = QVSS only
> (monochrome) and VAXstation/GPX = QDSS only (colour). The net result
> is that line 3 is the same as line 1 and line 5 is the same as line 4.
>
> Additionally the combination on line 4 is not currently supported so
> you must use captured input mode with the QDSS.
OK. Thanks.
> Having said that captured input mode doesn't seem to be working for
> you even with the QVSS. I haven't been able to reproduce this so far
> (testing on my usual platform of Debian 9.9). Which version of SDL are
> you using (show version)? For me it's 2.0.5.

I am showing SDL ver 2.0.10. The host is FreeBSD 12.1-p3, the guest is
VMS 5.5-2H4. If you don't mind, and there is no private information, is
there any way I see your SIMH config file that works for you?

sim> show version
VAXstation II (KA630) simulator V4.0-0 Current
     Simulator Framework Capabilities:
         64b data
         64b addresses
         Threaded Ethernet Packet transports:PCAP:TAP:VDE:NAT:UDP
         Idle/Throttling support is available
         Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) support
         Asynchronous I/O support (Lock free asynchronous event queue)
         Asynchronous Clock support
         FrontPanel API Version 12
     Host Platform:
         Compiler: GCC 4.2.1 Compatible FreeBSD Clang 8.0.1
(tags/RELEASE_801/final 366581)
         Simulator Compiled as C arch: x64 (Release Build) on Mar 19
2020 at 03:33:16
         Build Tool: simh-makefile
         Memory Access: Little Endian
         Memory Pointer Size: 64 bits
         Large File (>2GB) support
         SDL Video support: SDL Version 2.0.10, PNG Version 1.6.37+apng,
zlib: 1.2.11
         PCRE RegEx (Version 8.43 2019-02-23) support for EXPECT commands
         OS clock resolution: 1ms
         Time taken by msleep(1): 19ms
         Ethernet packet info: libpcap version 1.9.0
         Time taken by msleep(1): 19ms
         OS: FreeBSD freebsd-simh-host.sanyalnet.lan 12.1-RELEASE-p3
FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p3 GENERIC  amd64
         git commit id: 89cd649c
         git commit time: 2020-03-18T00:47:48-07:00
sim>

> For line 1 in your table you may be able to make the cursor less jumpy
> by adjusting the pointer acceleration in DECwindows. From the Session
> Manager select Customize -> Pointer. I have found that for un-captured
> input mode the pointer speed/acceleration within the guest system
> needs to be closely matched to the host otherwise the two fight
> against each other. For my system the 'slow' setting seems to work best.

Ah. OK. Thanks.

BTW, here is the config file as it is currently. The "For now, ..."
comment near the top is something you wrote probably a year ago :)

; Set CPU parmeters
; ---
;QVSS Monochrome Graphics is selected with SET CPU MODEL=VAXstation
;QDSS Color Graphics is selected with SET CPU MODEL=VAXstationGPX
;For now, with libSDL2 and the latest codebase you'll probably need:
;      sim> SET QVSS CAPTURE
;before the SET CPU MODEL=VAXSTATION{GPX}
; ---
;
; for text console only, comment cpu model AND enable console below
; for graphical console, set qvss/qdss capture and vaxstation/vaxstationgpx
; base on vaxstation-mouse-comparison.pdf in the doc directory
;SET QVSS CAPTURE
SET QDSS CAPTURE
;SET CPU MODEL=VAXSTATIONGPX
SET CPU MODEL=VAXSTATION
;
; max mem is 16mb (more than that results in crash?)
set cpu 16m
set cpu idle=vms

; Load CPU microcode and attach non-volatile RAM
; Modified firmware to emulate a MicroVAX II
load -r ../data/ka630.bin
attach nvr ../data/nvram.dat

;set console telnet=32023,speed=32768
;set console telnet=32023,speed=14400
set console notelnet

; First network adapter (TCP/IP)
set xq enable
set xq mac=52-2f-73-a8-51-19
attach xq vde:/tmp/vde-ip.ctl

; Second network adapter (DECnet 31.38)
;-- Set MAC address and attach Ethernet to a network interface
;   (If using DECnet the MAC address should be set to
;   match the DECnet address).
set xqb enable
set xqb mac=AA-00-04-00-26-7C
attach xqb vde:/tmp/vde-dnet.ctl
;attach xqb eth2

;-- Drives
set rq enable

; DUA0 and DUA1
;ra92 disk capacity is 1.5GB
set rq0 ra92
attach rq0 ../data/vms5.5-2H4-vaxstationII.ra92-1.5gb.disk0.dsk
set rq1 ra92
attach rq1 ../data/vms5.5-2H4-vaxstationII.ra92-1.5gb.disk1.dsk

; DUA2 CD ROM
set rq2 rrd40
;-- permanently attaching this causes rebooting to CD-ROM
;attach rq2 ../data/DECVAXVMS552H4.iso

; TAPES
set tq tk50
set tq enable
;MUA0 .. MUA3 - see ../data/tapes.txt
;
;attach tq0 ../data/AQ-LU340-01.F01.tap
;attach tq0 ../data/AQ-PXKZO-R1.A01.tap
attach tq0 ../data/jnet036.tap

attach tq1 ../data/AQ-PXL00-R1.A01.tap

;attach tq2 ../data/....

;attach tq3 ../data/AQ-FP58C-BN.tap

;attach tq4 ../data/....

;Serial terminals telnet port
;set dz enable,lines=4
;attach -a -m dz 4823

;-- Disable unused devices. It's also possible to disable individual
;   devices, using a construction like "set rq2 disable" if desired.
;
set rl disable
set ts disable

;-- Select HALT operation
; Return control to VAX console.
set cpu conhalt
; Return control to simh
;set cpu simhalt

;-- boot
;show version
;show ether
; comment out following line to boot manually (e.g. from dua0 when
openvms bootable iso is also attached)
;set cpu autoboot
;dep bdr 0

;echo Telnet to port 32023 for console to continue to boot
;echo Once booted, telnet to port 4823 for terminals

;boot cpu

; Exit the simulator on VAXStation-II shutdown
;exit

Best regards,
Supratim