[Simh] Interdata OS/32 kit

David Wijnants davygoat at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 18:07:31 EDT 2020

Following on from Don Stalkowski's seminal work (SimH list 26th October
2019, and 28th March 2016 before that), I have tidied up his scripts, and
added a few new features.

We now have the following on a 67MB disk:

   - Perkin-Elmer OS/32 v8.1.
   - Multi Terminal Monitor (MTM) with 8 terminal lines on port 1026.
   - Common Assembly Language (CAL) and macro assembler.
   - Fortran VII Development and Optimizing compilers.
   - Pascal compiler.
   - Whitesmiths C.
   - Program Development Ease of Use scripts (EOU).
   - Help files, installed as part of EOU.
   - Some convenient CSS scripts (DIR, COPY and TYPE) to complement the
   built-in commands.
   - A SEARCH command, written in C and CSS, to search files for a string.
   - A WILD command, to run a command over a bunch of files given by a
   wildcard pattern.
   - Two full screen editors, MEDIT and Micro EMACS are also on the system,
   but will need setting up before you can use them.
   - STARTUP and SHUTDOWN scripts. These go together with the SimH
   initialization file.
   - SimH initialization file automatically runs FASTCHEK after unclean
   shutdown.

And also:

   - An FTP server running on port 2121 (POSIX systems only). More about
   that in a separate mail.
   - A jumbo package of bitsavers documents to which I have added PDF
   bookmarks.

There are a few annoyances that suggest it is not quite release quality.

   - The EOU scripts (COMPILE, LINK, etc.) will lock up MTM (time-sharing)
   if you try to use them in more than one terminal.
   - You cannot signon to a terminal if anyone is using the EDIT command to
   edit a file. Your terminal will lock up! When the person saves his file, he
   will also lock up, and MTM needs restarting (type MTMDOWN at the system
   console, followed by MTMUP).
   - SimH idling helps to keep CPU usage reasonably low. But it tends to
   increase with time (>60%). Interestingly, if you stop MTM, CPU usage goes
   right down to single digits as idling picks up again.

If anyone knows what is happening or how to fix it, that would make a big
difference.

But despite these annoyances, I believe we've got quite a usable system.

I encourage everyone to give it a try. It's quite fun, once you get over
the initial bewilderment.

ZIP files can be found here:

Source (160K):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_9P6hOy_ViHNBDJPcWarRBWy-NWIBCPW