[Simh] Design considerations in the J11

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Jul 13 17:36:26 EDT 2020

Thanks, Bob. This was a very interesting read.

I have some question. Regarding physical address space - do you really
think that it would have made sense to expand it further? It would have
forced adding a mapping scheme similar to the Unibus map also for the
Qbus, and probably reworking the Unibus map as well, I assume. While
obviously doable, was there that much of a need to expand beyond 4MB
that it was worth such a change? And was there willingness to change the
operating systems in this way? It could have been problematic with the
parts that are closely coupled with the MMU, even at a user level
application. (Obviously, today I'm running on my machines more or less
alone, and then 4MB is more than plenty, and I remember in the mid 80s
running 40-50 people on an 11/70 being rather painful... But still, a
change in this area would not have been that straight forward, I believe.)

Also, RSX, for example, have provisions for 512 byte alignment of pages
instead of the 64 byte alignment. If the PARs would have been redefined
for that, you could have freed 3 bits for physical addresses as well,
instead of working something into the PDR register. Was this ever
considered, or where did RSX get that idea from?

And I know (well, guess/assume/think I saw it hinted) that at least one
mP system was made internal at DEC, based on the J11, but was there ever
any actual plans to make any commercial mP systems based on the J11?

Finally, I know it has been talked about in the past that the target
speed of the J11 was 20MHz (which I think would lead to the 5MHz
instruction frequency) was the target, but it was essentially never
reached. Do you know anything more about that bit? And what about
getting it to run faster? People certainly wanted faster machines...

   Johnny