[Simh] Unattended background SIMH process

Jason Stevens jsteve at superglobalmegacorp.com
Fri Nov 29 01:01:03 EST 2019

I wonder if you could set the console port to listen on a named pipe, and then use expect to connect and execute scripts?

That way you can use one to setup the boot environment from PROM (if needed) boot, then once it’s booted, you can ‘login’ and then execute scripts to check system/network status, then another to shut it down?

I’ve been driving TME on Windows 10 using the Linux subsystem with a named pipe to talk to it, and it seems okay enough, as I really have no other way to interact with the ‘serial’ console, and doing this allows me to nohup it, and talk to it as I want to.. Especially as the NIC that TME emulates isn’t supported by SunOS 2.0