[Simh] Unattended background SIMH process

Lennert Van Alboom lennert at vanalboom.org
Fri Nov 29 08:53:43 EST 2019

I started with something very similar, years ago. Never got to finish it.

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 05:38:21AM +0000, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
> Possible workarounds for this include abusing the hardware power fail
> interrupt to initiate shutdown, or listening for a signal from the
> network.

That's also the idea I was toying with: since UPSes have the same requirements (shutdown a machine cleanly without user interaction), could something
like that be simulated? SIMH pretending to be an UPS, and sending a "whoops, better bail quickly" signal? Older servers did this via a point-to-point
serial link to the UPS, I believe, and some basic config was required on the OS then (but my memory is hazy - I haven't seen them in ages).

Lennert