[Simh] Unattended background SIMH process

Supratim Sanyal supratim at riseup.net
Fri Nov 29 00:53:50 EST 2019

My SIMH VAX is behind a reliable IDS/IPS, so I wrote a stupid program to
do a "RUN SYS$SYSTEM:OPCCRASH" when a TCP connection is made to a
specific port. It's at QCOCAL::REMOTE-SHUTDOWN-LISTENER.ZIP if you are
on HECnet. An obvious minimum improvement would be to support some sort
of port-knocking.

Best,
Supratim

On 11/29/2019 12:38 AM, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
> Seth J. Morabito wrote:
>> Has anyone got a clean solution for running a background SIMH process
>> that doesn't involve `screen` or `tmux`?
> I have also been in search of a solution for this.  I'm OK with using
> screen if necessary.
>
>> I would like to create an init script or systemd module that will kick
>> off a simulator as a daemon process that can start up on host boot, and
>> shut down on host shutdown.
> It's the shutting down part that's the problem for me.  The operating
> systems I'm interested need to have a user login and type a command to
> shut down cleanly.  This is hard to do reliably.
>
> Possible workarounds for this include abusing the hardware power fail
> interrupt to initiate shutdown, or listening for a signal from the
> network.

Sent via Thunderbird/MX-Linux on an overheated Compaq Presario CQ61