[Simh] Unattended background SIMH process

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Fri Nov 29 00:38:21 EST 2019

Seth J. Morabito wrote:
> Has anyone got a clean solution for running a background SIMH process
> that doesn't involve `screen` or `tmux`?

I have also been in search of a solution for this.  I'm OK with using
screen if necessary.

> I would like to create an init script or systemd module that will kick
> off a simulator as a daemon process that can start up on host boot, and
> shut down on host shutdown.

It's the shutting down part that's the problem for me.  The operating
systems I'm interested need to have a user login and type a command to
shut down cleanly.  This is hard to do reliably.

Possible workarounds for this include abusing the hardware power fail
interrupt to initiate shutdown, or listening for a signal from the
network.