[Simh] VAXClustering with Linux Desktops?

Wilm Boerhout wboerhout at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 09:23:40 EDT 2019

Ray Jewhurst schreef op 13-4-2019 om 02:53:
> I have seen articles everywhere setting a VAXCluster using SimH and
> Raspberry Pis but none with Linux desktops.  I am putting together a
> small network of 3 or four Linux machines and thought it would be kind
> of neat to put together a small cluster and maybe even join Hecnet
> with it. Anyway I am kind of a VMS noob (only been using it for about
> 4 years) and would appreciate any guidance I can get.  The network is
> simple.  4 machines hooked up to a switch and then the switch is
> attached to my cable modem/router. All, IP's are static as well.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ray

The underlying hardware does not matter. From a simh point of view, your
VAXcluster running on Linux desktops would be no different from mine
running on Raspberry Pi.

In fact, I am now running Raspberry Pi Desktop (the x86 Debian variant)
on an old(ish) HP Zbook, and the simh VAX running there is very happy to
join the VAXcluster running on a ClusterHAT Pi stack (master (boot) node
+ 4 satellites)

I have found it easiest to set up the VAXcluster having one "master"
with 1 vote towards the quorum, and all others as "satellites" having 0
votes. Mind you, the cluster will survive even if the master node is
occasionally taken down for platform maintenance. The satellites will
freeze in cluster state transition until the master returns.

/Wilm