[Simh] Install VAX/VMS 4.4 on a simulated VAX-11/780

Matt Burke matt at 9track.net
Tue Mar 27 19:09:23 EDT 2018

On 23/03/2018 17:12, Henk van de Kamer wrote:

> That page I also found. However there disk gave errors and I blamed
> that on the different machine. A lot of the tuning also doesn't apply
> to the 780. I tried again with an adapted version of your ini:
>
> load vmb.exe
> set cpu idle
> attach rq0 vms44sys.dsk
> attach rq1 vms040stb.rx3
> attach ts bb-bt05c-be.tap
> ;attach cs vms044mup.rx1
> set console log=logs/vms44.log

This all looks fine but as you are using an old version of Simh you will
need to add 'set rq1 rx33' to your ini file. The rq1 device will not
automatically adjust to the size of the image like it does in newer
versions. Also the CS device is called RX in the older version.

If you start from the heading 'Setting up the VAX-11/782' and ignore
anything relating to the ma0 and ma1 devices then the instructions on my
website should work just fine for a standard VAX-11/780 up to the point
where is says 'The installation of VAX/VMS is now complete'.

Matt