[Simh] DECwindows issues

Matt Burke matt at 9track.net
Fri Jul 20 18:28:33 EDT 2018

On 19/07/2018 06:41, Hans Hübner wrote:
> I see either one of the DECwindows processes (window or session
> manager) use more than 50% of the VAX CPU or, if I kill both
> processes, the emulator taking up 100% of its host CPU with no VAX
> process showing up in MONITOR PROC/TOPCPU.  The emulated system is too
> slow to be used, effectively.

I don't seem to be able to reproduce this (on Debian 9.5). I just
installed VAX/VMS 5.5-2 and DECwindows (from AG-PSA5B-RE - VMS
REMASTERED V5.5-2 BIN CDROM) using your configuration file but I only
see about 10% of the host CPU being used by Simh when logged into
DECwindows.

The only slight difference is that I'm PCAP for the Ethernet connection
rather than TUN/TAP. Do you have anything else running in the background
(DECnet, UCX, clustering etc.)? I will try to setup the same.

Matt