[Simh] DECwindows issues

Hans Hübner hans.huebner at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 01:41:51 EDT 2018

> On 16/07/2018 18:33, Hans Hübner wrote:
> > If I run DECwindows on the qvss frame buffer backed by Xorg, the mouse
> > cursor jumps around erratically.
>
> You may be able to get around this problem by using captured input mode:
>
> sim> set qvss capture
>
> You need to do this before enabling the QVSS. Click in the video window
> to capture the mouse cursor and use Ctrl+Right Shift to release it.

This solved the erratic mouse behavior, but now (with V4.0-0 Current
15fd71b9) running VMS 5.5-2 and DECwindows on QVSS, I see either one of the
DECwindows processes (window or session manager) use more than 50% of the
VAX CPU or, if I kill both processes, the emulator taking up 100% of its
host CPU with no VAX process showing up in MONITOR PROC/TOPCPU.  The
emulated system is too slow to be used, effectively.

I don't see that behavior when running DECwindows on a remote display, so
it seems to be connected to QVSS.  If I can provide any additional
information to diagnose, let me know.

Thanks,
Hans

load -r ka655x.bin