[Simh] DECwindows issues

Hans Hübner hans.huebner at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 18:45:06 EDT 2018

> On 19/07/2018 06:41, Hans Hübner wrote:
> > I see either one of the DECwindows processes (window or session
> > manager) use more than 50% of the VAX CPU or, if I kill both
> > processes, the emulator taking up 100% of its host CPU with no VAX
> > process showing up in MONITOR PROC/TOPCPU.  The emulated system is too
> > slow to be used, effectively.
> >
> I don't seem to be able to reproduce this (on Debian 9.5).

I'm running SIMH on FreeBSD, but I can switch if the problem is related to
that.

>  installed VAX/VMS 5.5-2 and DECwindows (from AG-PSA5B-RE - VMS

REMASTERED V5.5-2 BIN CDROM) using your configuration file but I only
> see about 10% of the host CPU being used by Simh when logged into
> DECwindows.

I've used the original VAX/VMS 5.5 distribution and then installed the MUP
and 5.5-2 upgrade packages (all from the same hobbyist distribution CD).

> The only slight difference is that I'm PCAP for the Ethernet connection
> rather than TUN/TAP. Do you have anything else running in the background
> (DECnet, UCX, clustering etc.)? I will try to setup the same.

I have UCX 4.2 running.

Thanks!
Hans