[Simh] Cluster communications errors

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Jul 20 08:58:35 EDT 2018

> On Jul 19, 2018, at 11:18 PM, Hunter Goatley <goathunter at goatley.com> wrote:
>
> Another data point. After more playing around and several reboots, I can confirm that with tunneling using the host system's Ethernet device, communications with other cluster members only drops when DECnet is started.
> %%%%%%%%%%%  OPCOM  19-JUL-2018 23:14:55.58  %%%%%%%%%%%
> Message from user DECNET on DARTH
> DECnet starting
>
> %CNXMAN,  lost connection to system QUEST
> %CNXMAN,  lost connection to system GALAXY
> %CNXMAN,  re-established connection to system FASTER
> %CNXMAN,  quorum lost, blocking activity
> %CNXMAN,  re-established connection to system VADER
> %CNXMAN,  re-established connection to system QUEST
> %CNXMAN,  quorum regained, resuming activity
>
> That's not a full log, but as soon as I see the OPCOM message about DECnet starting, I get the "lost connection" messages, then the "re-established" messages, and then everything is fine afterward.

Is that the Ethernet interface down/up that happens when DECnet sets the MAC address?  I assume you don't have a card that supports multiple MAC addresses.

On the USB thing: USB bridge things are often consumer grade devices, and while they may "work" in the sense that you can get a packet in and out, I would not necessarily expect them to behave sanely under any nontrivial load.  The same way I would not expect to run a cluster on a $50 Ethernet switch.

Good to hear things are looking better now.

	paul