[Simh] Cluster communications errors

Hunter Goatley goathunter at goatley.com
Fri Jul 20 09:05:20 EDT 2018

On 7/20/2018 7:58 AM, Paul Koning wrote:
> Is that the Ethernet interface down/up that happens when DECnet sets the MAC address?  I assume you don't have a card that supports multiple MAC addresses.

It probably is. That makes total sense, and I should have realized that.

> On the USB thing: USB bridge things are often consumer grade devices, and while they may "work" in the sense that you can get a packet in and out, I would not necessarily expect them to behave sanely under any nontrivial load.  The same way I would not expect to run a cluster on a $50 Ethernet switch.

True. We have some USB dongles we've used with CHARON-VAX for years
without incident, but I don't even know if these are the same brand
dongles. Even if they are, that doesn't mean anything, of course.

I'm not a hardware kind of guy, so I tend to miss some of the obvious
things, like remembering that the "dedicated card" is a USB dongle of
unknown make. ;-)

> Good to hear things are looking better now.

Thank you all for your help!

Hunter