[Simh] Cluster communications errors

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Fri Jul 20 11:42:32 EDT 2018

On Friday, July 20, 2018 at 5:31 AM, Hunter Goatley wrote:
> On 7/19/2018 10:34 PM, Mark Pizzolato wrote:
[...]
> So I took it down again and did SET THROTTLE 80%.  Still considerably
> slower, but workable. And as soon as DECnet started, it lost
> communication and re-established it. It's now two minutes farther
> into the boot with no further drops.

FYI: Throttling is merely part of identifying what is causing the problem.

Unless your simh VAX cluster member is VERY busy, throttling at 80%
will probably use at least 15 times more host system CPU cycles than
Idling.  The 80% number will really use 80% of one CPU core continuously
even when nothing at all is going on in the running VMS environment.

- Mark