[Simh] External bus interface

Bob Supnik bob at supnik.org
Thu Jan 18 07:36:56 EST 2018

Lars,

SimH knows nothing of the internal structure of simulators, so I'm
skeptical of a SimH-level solution. However, a simulator-specific
interface can be built.

As an example, I am finishing up the UC15, which is exactly what you
describe - a PDP11 that is connected to the memory of a PDP15 and
controlled via a cross-connected paralllel link. The PDP11 acts as an IO
processor for the PDP15.

I have not solved all the problems. The solution requires a multi-core
(or other kind of SMP) system, with one core per simulator. It probably
depends on in-order writes and strong cache consistency semantics. And
it definitely depends on tight polling, which causes the cores to run
flat out (unsuitable for mobile devices).

Bob