[Simh] Systems Engineering Labs (SEL) simh simulator available

Henry Bent henry.r.bent at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 14:31:24 EST 2018

On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 at 14:03, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:

> > On Dec 20, 2018, at 1:51 PM, Tom Morris <tfmorris at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 9:48 PM Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > I may be missing something, but... why would you ask for a 32 bit
> compile?  If you want to create a kit that can run on old PCs, sure.  But
> for a local build, the default makes more sense, whatever that is on the
> machine in question.
> >
> > In other words, it's hard to see why you'd have -m32 in the compiler
> switches.
> >
> > One reason might be for code that's not 64-bit clean.
> >
> > Tom
>
> True.  But it's better and easy to fix such code.  Especially in SIMH
> which in some places actually requires 64 bit support, so making the whole
> thing 64-bit clean is a good thing.

For what it's worth I had no problems compiling the simulator as a 64 bit
executable on Linux, and so far I've had no trouble running it and issuing
some basic commands.

Is there some "getting started" documentation or the equivalent for MPX?
Coming from a UNIX background I found the training manual (
http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/sel/sel32_mpx/training/Inside_the_MPX-32_Operating_System_Sep85.pdf
) to be somewhat less helpful that I expected, and the MPX 1.x reference
and technical manuals are extremely dense.

-Henry