[Simh] Attach tar to tape device and access it from v7 in simh

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 17:02:37 EST 2017

On 11/7/17 2:45 PM, Clem Cole wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 3:37 PM, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com
> <mailto:clemc at ccc.com>> wrote:
>
>     You need to convert the foo.tar file to a foo.tap before simh's
>     mag tape reader will understand it.
>

> ​1.) ​
> gunzip 1bsd.tar.gz
> 2
> ​.)
> enblock <1bsd.tar >
> ​1bsd
> .tap
>> ​3.) ​in simh: att mt0 1bsd.tap
> ​4.) in unix:  ​tar vxfb /dev/rmt0 ...

Thanks, Clem. Now I'm getting somewhere!

I converted to a tap file (lo and behold, I wrote a perl script that did
this for the silly thing 2 years ago) and ran it. Then attached the tap
to simh and in v7:

# tar xvfb /dev/rmt0
Invalid blocksize. (Max 20)

hmm... that doesn't sound good, let's try it another way:

# tar xv0
tar: ashell/ - cannot create
x ashell/cont.a, 114488 bytes, 224 tape blocks
x ashell/READ_ME, 825 bytes, 2 tape blocks
# ls -ld ashell
drwxrwxr-x 2 root       64 Dec 31 22:18 ashell
# ls ashell
READ_ME
cont.a
# find . -name "more*" -a -print
#

It's coming back to me now, but oh so slowly, why is it complaining
about cannot create all the while creating the folder? Also, darn! I was
hoping more would be in there somewhere. Anybody know where the more or
less pager source code might be for v7?

Thanks,

Will

--
GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462  7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF