[Simh] Attach tar to tape device and access it from v7 in simh

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Nov 7 15:45:04 EST 2017

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 3:37 PM, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> You need to convert the foo.tar file to a foo.tap before simh's mag tape
> reader will understand it.

​1.) ​
gunzip 1bsd.tar.gz
2
​.)
enblock <1bsd.tar >
​1bsd
.tap
​

​3.) ​in simh:    att mt0 1bsd.tap
​4.) in unix:  ​tar vxfb /dev/rmt0 ...

> If you want to skip that step, attach the foo.tar (or foo.tar.gz) file as
> a virtual disk.  The open it as a raw device

​I should have been more specific, attach the foo.tar file to >>simh<< as a
virtuak disk, the under the simulated OS (UNIX) you can open it as a raw
device.​

​i.e.
1.) ​
gunzip 1bsd.tar.gz
​3.) ​in simh:    att
​rk3
 1bsd.ta
​r

​4.) ​in unix:  tar vxfb /dev/rrk3  ....