[Simh] Attach tar to tape device and access it from v7 in simh

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Nov 7 17:18:20 EST 2017

The original V7 tar was not quite graceful about directories and that image
was probably not written by an original V7 system.  The directory issues
were fixed quickly.   You need a new tar, such as the one from 2BSD to read
that tape without error messages, although I suspect the original will read
it if
you do something like:

tar vtf foo.tar  > tapedirectory
grep and filter the directories tapedirectory and make a directory.list
then read that in a script that does mkdirs on the files in directory.list

Also warming, mkdir -p probably does not exist in V6 or V7 IIRC

 Finally, 1BSD (aka BSD) was based V6, 2BSD was for V7.  It was originally
a tp tape, if you have a tar image of it, it was converted by someone.

Clem