[Simh] Problem with MT_ASTLVL on the VAX-11/780

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu May 18 18:00:17 EDT 2017

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 5:25 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
> RX50. And yes, I installed MicroVMS on a MicroVAX II in 1986.

We got a MicroVAX I in late 1984 or early 1985 and later upgraded it
to a MicroVAX II ($17K upgrade, IIRC).  Our uVAX-II distro medium was
TK50, but we kept that MicroVAX-I on RX50 distros until we stopped
paying support on it (late 80s).

> A really weird
> story, which is why I remember it so well. I don't remember the exact
> number, but I think it was between 20 and 30 floppies.

Sounds about right.  I think it was several savesets applied in turn,
not just a monolithic 1/30, 2/30... so I don't recall the exact number
either.

>> I believe that the first "Micro" versions of VMS started with MicroVMS 4.4
>> when the MicroVAX family was added.

I might still have our MicroVMS 1.0 floppies in a box, but they jumped
from that to MicroVMS 4.x in sync with "regular" VMS once it was all
part of the general release schedule.

I think MicroVMS 1.0 only runs on the KA610, not the KA630.  Not sure
exactly when KA630 support came in, but it would have been mid-1985.

-ethan