[Simh] Problem with MT_ASTLVL on the VAX-11/780

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu May 18 17:25:48 EDT 2017

On 2017-05-18 15:20, Armistead, Jason wrote:
> Johnny Billquist wrote:
>
>> However, this might be different on different CPU models, so I suspect this should be applied with care.
>> He was testing VAX/VMS V4.5, which is pretty ancient. The models supported by that version would probably only be the VAX-11 models. (And yes, I include the 86x0 in the VAX-11 series.)
>
> MicroVMS 4.5B was available for MicroVAX 2000 circa 1987.  I remember loading it from a large stack of between 50 and 70 RX33 (?) floppies ...  what fun !

RX50. And yes, I installed MicroVMS on a MicroVAX II in 1986. A really
weird story, which is why I remember it so well. I don't remember the
exact number, but I think it was between 20 and 30 floppies.

> I believe that the first "Micro" versions of VMS started with MicroVMS 4.4 when the MicroVAX family was added.

I was trying to remember when the uVAX hardware and support came, and
4.5 is at the verge when it happened. Either way, I was still thinking
that this might behave differently on different VAX implementations, and
such an early version might have had to be changed later with new
models. But it seems Paul think the register is actually defined to mask
away all but the low 3 bits according to VARM.

Oh well. It might be that it should be done generally in that case.

	Johnny