[Simh] Problems install RSX-11M+ v4.6

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun May 7 17:49:23 EDT 2017

On 2017-05-07 22:21, Ray Jewhurst wrote:
> Sorry to be a pest but now I am getting an error.  I got the same one
> using a pre-built system I found on Bitsavers.

Heh... Maybe not surprising...

>>run bad
>>
> BAD>db0:
> BAD -- DB0: Unrecoverable error -65.

.err -65
000277 (-65): %I/O-F-IE.OFL, device is offline

Which probably comes as no surprise, as you do not have an RP04/05/06
disks...

> BAD>du0:
>

>  BAD -- DU0: Total bad blocks= 0.
> BAD>^Z

All good there.

>>run bru
>>
> BRU>/rew ms0: du0:
> BRU - Starting Tape 1 on MS0:
>
> BRU - End of Tape 1 on MS0:
>
> BRU - Completed
>
> BRU>PuTTY
>

> RSX-11M-PLUS V4.6  BL87   128.KW <http://128.KW>  System:"Baseline"
>>RED DU:=SY:
>>RED DU:=LB:
>>RED DU:=SP:
>>MOU DU0:"RSX11MPBL87"
>>@[2,54]BASTART.CMD
> 12:46:19  *** GEN    Checkpoint space allocation failure
> 12:46:19  *** GEN    Checkpoint space allocation failure
> 12:46:19  *** GEN    Checkpoint space allocation failure
> 12:46:19  *** GEN    Checkpoint space allocation failure
> 12:46:19  *** GEN    Checkpoint space allocation failure
> 12:46:19  *** GEN    Checkpoint space allocation failure
>
> I apologize for my lack of knowledge.  I am eager to learn but I have
> never even seen a real PDP-11 let alone use one.  I am just trying to
> learn vicariously through simh.

Was that "<http://128.KW>" really printed by the system???

Apart from that, I can't remember that the checkpoint error should
happen. However, you should give a few more switches when you run BRU,
or the system disk will not be setup in a way that will make you happy.
The filesystem used by RSX is called ODS-1, and there is a limit in it
on how many files you can have, which is setup at initialization. The
default values are way to small, especially if you have a large disk.

What should happen then, once you boot the disk for the first time is
that it should actually continue the installation by copying more things
from the tape.

See http://mim.update.uu.se/manuals/rsx/sysgen.pdf for all details
around this.

	Johnny