[Simh] LAVC

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Mar 11 16:48:13 EST 2017

On 2017-03-11 22:36, Sergey Oboguev wrote:
> Just curious:
>
> Is HSC firmware and software available?

Firmware and software are the same thing here! :-)
And yes, the CRONIC OS is possible to get. I don't know if anyone
already have made it available anywhere, but I know where I can get a
copy for the HSC90 if nothing else.

> (Well, I know someone who has a live system running with HSCs
> http://fafner.dyndns.org <http://fafner.dyndns.org/>
> telnet fafner.dyndns.org
> so the software for at least *some* HSC models might be retrievable,
> less sure about the firmware.)

What firmware are you referring to?
As for running, Update have HSJs that we use if we just flip the power.
We could also roll in the HSC90 if we wanted to.

> Does there exist a sufficiently detailed hardware spec on the HSC? if
> yes, which models?

I have not seen any detailed hardware specs for any CI controllers.
Maybe someone else knows if any?

> In particular, a description of CI/SC interface from the HSC side?

Unless I remember wrong, it's the same cards as in the CI780.

> After all, the source code for VMS and BSD is available, so one might
> hypothetically infer what they expect from CI by reverse-engineering the
> source code.

I didn't know VMS sources were available. Where do you find them?
As for BSD, the only "BSD" which supports CI is Ultrix.
BSD4.x, NetBSD and OpenBSD do not support CI at all. For the very simple
reason that DEC never released the documentation.

> But what about the J-11 side?

That would be the CRONIC OS. We have binaries... But I'm not so sure
about any documentation of the rest of the content in a HSC...

	Johnny