[Simh] VAX 82x0/83x0 and VAX 66x0 tech docs (and VAXBI docs)

Tim Stark fsword7 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 9 22:17:36 EST 2017

Folks,

I found a few technical reference manuals (KA820/KA825 and VAX 6200 and 6600
series) through google search, etc.

I reviewed KA820/KA825 (VAX 82x0/83x0) tech docs and it does not use SRM
firmware like KA780/KA865 processors. It uses VAXBI interface for I/O
devices. I think that it can be implemented on SIMH emulator easily.  I
heard someone plans to implement VAX 82x0/83x0 for SIMH emulators (on track9
website) but it never happens.

I reviewed KA62A (VAX 62x0) and KA66A (VAX 66x0) tech docs and noticed that
VAX 66x0 supports up to 3.5G memory access by using 32-bit addressing mode.
VAX 6000 series is multiprocessing system.

It need SRM firmware to boot system. Does anyone have a copy of KA62A and
KA66A firmware?

Does anyone have any tech docs for VAXBI devices like DEBNA Ethernet, etc?
I only found KDB50 user's guide docs that provides KDB50 programming through
VAXBI registers.

NetBSD/vax supports VAXBI devices.

Thanks,

Tim