[Simh] A couple of newbie SimH questions

Jacob Goense dugo at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 6 08:02:57 EST 2017

On 2017-03-06 11:58, Warren Toomey wrote:
> I've tried all of the SET CPU IDLE values and I can't find a value that
> lowers
> the CPU usage below 100%. Is there a compile flag that I need to set?
> The
> host system is Ubuntu 15.10 and Linux 4.2.0-42-generic.

I guess idle pattern detection missing or broken in simh for the
particular
guest OS. I'll have a look.

> and I can happily telnet in. Now I want to set up two SimH instances so
> that one DZ line connects the two together. I've read the
> vax780_doc.doc
> but I can't see how to configure an outbound connection.

This is much better document in the top comment section in
https://github.com/simh/simh/blob/master/sim_tmxr.c

A snippet below. Let me know if that doesn't help.

     Line specific tcp listening ports are supported.  These are
configured
     using commands of the form:

         sim> attach MUX Line=2,port{;notelnet}
     Direct computer to computer connections (Virutal Null Modem cables)
may
     be established using the telnet protocol or via raw tcp sockets.

         sim> attach MUX Line=2,Connect=host:port{;notelnet}
     Computer to computer virtual connections can be one way (as
illustrated
     above) or symmetric.  A symmetric connection is configured by
combining
     a one way connection with a tcp listening port on the same line:
         sim> attach MUX Line=2,Connect=host:port,listenport
     When symmetric virtual connections are configured, incoming
connections
     on the specified listening port are checked to assure that they
actually
     come from the specified connection destination host system.