[Simh] A couple of newbie SimH questions

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Mon Mar 6 11:13:23 EST 2017

On Monday, March 6, 2017 at 2:58 AM, Warren Toomey wrote:
> Hi all, as part of the preparation for the Unix 50th anniversary in 2019, I'm
> starting to get some Unix images up and running on SimH. What I want to get
> done is to recreate some of the early networking, in particular uucp and
> Usenet on top of it (with C-News).
>
> I've built 4.2BSD and 4.3BSD images as per the instructions here:
> http://gunkies.org/wiki/Installing_4.2_BSD_on_SIMH
> http://gunkies.org/wiki/Installing_4.3_BSD_on_SIMH
>
> and these run fine on SimH VAX 11/780 simulator V4.0-0 Beta git commit id:
> 7c5792e9
>
> I've tried all of the SET CPU IDLE values and I can't find a value that lowers the
> CPU usage below 100%. Is there a compile flag that I need to set? The host
> system is Ubuntu 15.10 and Linux 4.2.0-42-generic.

I believe that these operating systems have specifically been tested for idling.
Please try all of the idle options mentioned in:

	sim> HELP CPU

If none of these work, please create an issue to get this resolved.

> I've set up a DZ device with:
> set dz lines=8
> att dz 8888
> set dz 7b
>
> and I can happily telnet in. Now I want to set up two SimH instances so that
> one DZ line connects the two together. I've read the vax780_doc.doc but I
> can't see how to configure an outbound connection.

Look through the attach options mentioned in:

	sim> HELP DZ

If you're trying to get uucp to work, I'd keep away from "set dz 7b" since I'm
pretty sure uucp will want to pass 8 bit data...

- Mark