[Simh] A couple of newbie SimH questions

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Mon Mar 6 05:58:15 EST 2017

Hi all, as part of the preparation for the Unix 50th anniversary in 2019,
I'm starting to get some Unix images up and running on SimH. What I want to
get done is to recreate some of the early networking, in particular uucp
and Usenet on top of it (with C-News).

I've built 4.2BSD and 4.3BSD images as per the instructions here:
http://gunkies.org/wiki/Installing_4.2_BSD_on_SIMH
http://gunkies.org/wiki/Installing_4.3_BSD_on_SIMH

and these run fine on SimH VAX 11/780 simulator V4.0-0 Beta git commit id: 7c5792e9

I've tried all of the SET CPU IDLE values and I can't find a value that lowers
the CPU usage below 100%. Is there a compile flag that I need to set? The
host system is Ubuntu 15.10 and Linux 4.2.0-42-generic.

I've set up a DZ device with:
set dz lines=8
att dz 8888
set dz 7b

and I can happily telnet in. Now I want to set up two SimH instances so
that one DZ line connects the two together. I've read the vax780_doc.doc
but I can't see how to configure an outbound connection.

Many thanks for any tips and suggestions,
	Warren