[Simh] 32V on SIMH

Jason Self jason at bluehome.net
Mon Jan 30 08:03:25 EST 2017

Mark Pizzolato <Mark at infocomm.com> wrote ..

> Think back to when you might have been using a computer with 32V as
> the operating system.

I suppose pasting text into the terminal could work, as could copying
text out so long as it doesn't overflow the terminal's scrollback
buffer. Even then I suppose ed could just print part of the file to be
copied in chunks until the whole thing is done. Seems clunky but I
suppose it could work. Perhaps I should try to figured out that LP11
line printer that I see mentioned at
http://simh.trailing-edge.com/vax.html, assuming 32V can use it. Then
there are binary files to exchange. I suppose those could be written
onto tape using that imaginary tape device but I am not clear on how
to read those from the host OS (and then there's making them to copy
stuff in the other direction.)

Anders Magnusson <ragge at ludd.ltu.se> wrote:
> I usually use tar to/from a disk image.
> From host OS just to the disk file, and from the guest OS against
> the raw device.

I am not clear on what you mean here. It's possible to access the disk
image from the host OS? The only thing I've found even remotely close
to that was the AncientFS from FUSE which I have not been able to compile.

khandy21yo <khandy21yo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, does 32v have ftp capabilities? Networking does work in simh.

My understanding is that 32V does not have a TCP/IP stack.