[Simh] 32V on SIMH

Warren Young tangentsoft at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 08:49:21 EST 2017

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 6:03 AM, Jason Self <jason at bluehome.net> wrote:

> Mark Pizzolato <Mark at infocomm.com> wrote ..
>
> Anders Magnusson <ragge at ludd.ltu.se> wrote:
> > I usually use tar to/from a disk image.
> > From host OS just to the disk file, and from the guest OS against
> > the raw device.
>
> I am not clear on what you mean here. It's possible to access the disk
> image from the host OS?

This is Unix. Of course it's possible. :)

I don't have a copy of 32V here, but in V7 on a PDP-11/70, the first RP06
disk pack appears to be exposed as /dev/rp0, and the second one as
/dev/rp3. So, if you use SIMH to ATTACH a tar file to SIMH device rp1, you
should be able to un-tar it with:

    # tar xvf /dev/rp3

or

    # tar xvf /dev/rrp3

The extra "r" here means "raw" device access, which is sometimes necessary.

You'd need to create the tar file with all the ancient AT&T Unix
compatibility options turned on. No GNU extensions allowed here!

Perhaps more era-appropriate would be to use one of the tape devices, such
as SIMH's TS or TQ devices, which may appear under UNIX/32V as /dev/tq*. If
not, it might be something like /dev/rmt* or similar, meaning "raw-access
magnetic tape."

The only thing I've found even remotely close
> to that was the AncientFS from FUSE which I have not been able to compile.
>
> khandy21yo <khandy21yo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Also, does 32v have ftp capabilities? Networking does work in simh.
>
> My understanding is that 32V does not have a TCP/IP stack

TCP/IP didn't get added to Unix until 4.1 BSD, with important improvements
in later releases that may affect compatibility with modern systems.

UNIX/32V is contemporaneous with the 2BSD and 3BSD lines. So no, modern
TCP/IP v4 hadn't been invented yet, much less made its way back home to
AT&T.

(TCP/IP was created in 1974, replacing the earlier NCP on the ARPANET, but
good luck finding a modern stack that will talk to pre-v4 IP.)

TCP/IP as we know it today didn't get into AT&T Unix until SVR3, accessible
only via their ill-fated TLI API. AT&T Unix didn't get BSD sockets support
until SVR4, the grand reunification of BSD & AT&T Unix.