[Simh] ts10 and mse (my new emulator) (WAS: RE: Klh10 vs Simh)

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Mon Feb 20 14:34:54 EST 2017

I’m not familiar with what device connectivity TS10 and MSE have implemented.

Is it simulating Ethernet devices?

Point to Point network devices?

Are these tun/tap connections merely used to connect simulators to each other
in the same system or are they also expected to be part of how connectivity I
achieved between simulators and the host system and/or the outside world?

I ask these questions since they’ve all been solved on Windows and Unix hosts
in the simh codebase.  The simh Ethernet functionality provides Ethernet frame
delivery to/from the local LAN and/or to/from the host system directly.  Ethernet
frames can also be delivered to remote networks via UDP and thus direct
participations in HECnet is possible.  More than likely, the simh sim_ether code
wouldn’t fit directly into TS10 or MSE, but the details of how this problem has
already been solved would certainly be a useful in getting to where you’re going.

Step back from the focus on tun/tap and/or Winsock and think packet delivery
and reception.  Tun/tap is one solution to that problem on some platforms.
Simh’s Ethernet layer can talk via tun/tap on Unix hosts.  It can talk directly
to a LAN interface on Unix and Windows hosts.

10 Years ago, on Windows, we thought we needed some sort of package like
OpenVPN in combination with pcap to facilitate bridging.  As it turned out
(only on Windows), we didn’t need that at all once it was realized that we
could talk back and forth with the host system (using pcap) if we padded
pcap received packets to the minimum ethernet frame size.  We received
short packets since pcap captured them before they’d made it to the LAN
driver which would normally have padded them to the minimal frame size.

If you explore these ideas, feel free to ask questions here or directly to me.

-          Mark