[Simh] Dec-10 Day announcement from Living Computers: Museum + Labs

Johnny Eriksson bygg at cafax.se
Sun Dec 17 16:06:21 EST 2017

Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:

> >> Hmm. Yeah, I can't remember ever seeing 18-bit packs or support on the RM05.
> >
> > We had several RM05's on kicki back in those days.  Things needed:
> >
> >    * Include drive geometry etc. in driver tables.
>
> So I assume Tops-10 don't have it in the tables normally. Which drives
> did Tops-10 support officially?

On the RH10/RH20 (KL etc.):

  RP04/RP05
  RP06
  RP07
  RM03

On the RH11 (KS):

  RP06
  RM03

> >    * Make sure the controller in the drive (same HW as RM03 if I remember
> >      correctly, but sitting in a separate cabinet beside the drive) has
> >      the appropriate jumper installed in the backplane to enable 18-bit
> >      mode.
>
> I didn't know it was the exact same Massbus adapter for the drive. I
> know that the RM02/RM03 have the adapter in the bottom of the cabinet,
> while the RM05 have it in a separate cabinet (probably because the drive
> itself takes more space in the cabinet).
> And the RM03 is supported by Tops-10 then, I take it.
>
> >    * Format the pack in 18-bit mode.  We did that with a user-mode program
> >      using the write-data-and-headers I/O function.  I have the source to
> >      that (short) program somewhere.
>
> Hmm. I suspect the code for formatting an RM03 could be used as a
> starting point?

Possibly, if you had the source...

Low-level formatting was done with a stand-alone program (KSFORM) on
the KS10, I don't remember how it was (normally) done on the others.

We (rather JMR) wrote this to to the job for RM05's:

	TITLE	RM05
	SEARCH	UUOSYM,MACTEN

	SECLEN==201
	NUMSEC==^D30
	NUMTRK==^D19
	NUMCYL==^D822

	SEC==1
	TRK==2
	CYL==3
	ADR==4
	NUM==5;NUM+1==6

	START:	RESET
		OPEN[	EXP	UU.DEL+IO.WHD+.IODMP
			SIXBIT	"RM05"
			XWD	0,0]
		 JRST[	OUTSTR[	ASCIZ	"Please assign the logical name RM05:"]
			MONRT.
			JRST	START]
		MOVSI	CYL,-NUMCYL
	NXTCYL:	MOVSI	TRK,-NUMTRK
		OUTSTR[	ASCIZ	"Formatting cylinder "]
		MOVEI	NUM,(CYL)
		IDIVI	NUM,^D100
		MOVEI	NUM,"0"(NUM)
		OUTCHR	NUM
		MOVE	NUM,NUM+1
		IDIVI	NUM,^D10
		MOVEI	NUM,"0"(NUM)
		OUTCHR	NUM
		MOVEI	NUM,"0"(NUM+1)
		OUTCHR	NUM
	NXTTRK:	SETZM	BUFFER
		MOVE[	XWD	BUFFER,BUFFER+1]
		BLT	BUFEND
		MOVSI	SEC,-NUMSEC
		MOVEI	ADR,BUFFER
	NXTSEC:	MOVSI	140000
		MOVEM	(ADR)
		DPB	CYL,[POINT 10,(ADR),17]
		DPB	TRK,[POINT  5,(ADR),27]
		DPB	SEC,[POINT  5,(ADR),35]
		ADDI	ADR,SECLEN
		AOBJN	SEC,NXTSEC
		MOVEI	ADR,(CYL)
		IMULI	ADR,NUMTRK
		ADDI	ADR,(TRK)
		IMULI	ADR,NUMSEC
		TXO	ADR,SU.SOT
		SUSET.	ADR,
		 HALT
		OUT[	IOWD	BUFEND+1-BUFFER,BUFFER
			EXP	0]
		 SKIPA
		  HALT
		AOBJN	TRK,NXTTRK
		OUTCHR[	EXP	.CHCRT]
		AOBJN	CYL,NXTCYL
		MONRT.
		JRST	START

	BUFFER:	BLOCK	SECLEN*NUMSEC
	BUFEND==.-1

	END	START

> > --Johnny (the other one)
>
> Hah! I should have know who to ask about such a topic... ;-)

You are welcome.

>    Johnny

--Johnny