[Simh] Dec-10 Day announcement from Living Computers: Museum + Labs

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Dec 17 08:23:05 EST 2017

On 2017-12-13 08:49, Johnny Eriksson wrote:
> Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>
>>> I was disappointed to learn that the RM05 was never supported, either.
>>
>> Hmm. Yeah, I can't remember ever seeing 18-bit packs or support on the RM05.
>
> We had several RM05's on kicki back in those days.  Things needed:
>
>    * Include drive geometry etc. in driver tables.

So I assume Tops-10 don't have it in the tables normally. Which drives
did Tops-10 support officially?

>    * Make sure the controller in the drive (same HW as RM03 if I remember
>      correctly, but sitting in a separate cabinet beside the drive) has
>      the appropriate jumper installed in the backplane to enable 18-bit
>      mode.

I didn't know it was the exact same Massbus adapter for the drive. I
know that the RM02/RM03 have the adapter in the bottom of the cabinet,
while the RM05 have it in a separate cabinet (probably because the drive
itself takes more space in the cabinet).
And the RM03 is supported by Tops-10 then, I take it.

>    * Format the pack in 18-bit mode.  We did that with a user-mode program
>      using the write-data-and-headers I/O function.  I have the source to
>      that (short) program somewhere.

Hmm. I suspect the code for formatting an RM03 could be used as a
starting point?

> Support?  Don't think so...

:-)

>>     Johnny
>
> --Johnny (the other one)

Hah! I should have know who to ask about such a topic... ;-)

   Johnny