[Simh] Operating Systems with Sources

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Mon Oct 24 10:51:14 EDT 2016

On 10/24/16 6:17 AM, Christian Gauger-Cosgrove wrote:

> It appears there's sources for CDC's ITOS on the CDC 1700/CDC Cyber
> 18. (BitSavers > bits > CDC > 1700_Cyber18 > 20100519)
>
> So that could, theoretically, be added to the list. If the tape works.

I have a big box of ITOS floppies I need to read.
The Cyber 18 was fairly different from the 1700

--

off the top of my head:

OS/3 from Oregon State for the CDC 24 bit machines should be up. I have
a monitor listing sitting in my office waiting to be scanned. SDS Monarch
should be somewhere in the SDS tape collection.

There are a few others, not in assembler, for the PDP-11.
Per Brinch Hansen's SOLO and the USCD Pascal System, both in dialects of
Pascal.

If an early OS survives, it probably has the sources with it, because most
shops modified it for their environment.

That reminds me, Burroughs Midrange system software is out there, Scott Dorsey
wrote a simulator.

Some bits for the Univac 9300, 9400 1050, need to make sure that's on line

Don't know of any Exec sources around for the early 110x's

16 bit minis

IBM 1130, General Automation 1830, DG Nova, Computer Automation, Honeywell 316

SEL 32 bit

We have some Siemens and Telefunken OS tapes in the archives that I haven't read yet.

GE Dartmouth Timesharing system

oh.. and MULTICS (big, and in PL/I)

--

You can get a feeling for what the systems were like reading the bitsavers documentation
(which is what it's there for..)

Many of these are not interactive systems, or the terminal mode is very much like being
at a virtual keypunch.

DEC users had it easy because DEC cared about interactive terminal use of their computers.