[Simh] Operating Systems with Sources

Rich Alderson simh at alderson.users.panix.com
Wed Oct 26 14:51:40 EDT 2016

> From: Christian Gauger-Cosgrove <captainkirk359 at gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 06:46:48 -0400

> On 23 October 2016 at 23:12, Richard Cornwell <skyvis at sky-visions.com> wrote:

>>    Also adding to the list of OS's TOPS 10 also was distributed by
>>    Source.

> Oh yeah, I forgot about TOPS-10. Didb't TOPS-20 also come with sources as
> well?

Tops-10 was distributed as source because customers were encouraged to add
functionality (local monitor commands, for example).

TOPS-20 was "perfect as delivered", so source was a separate license fee (and
pretty expensive).  (At least a source site could compile the files on the tape
and get a working monitor, unlike the VMS sources.)

Not on Bitsavers, but Trailing Edge has Tops-10 and TOPS-20 source tape images
at http://pdp-10.trailing-edge.com/ .

                                                                Rich