[Simh] HP2100 old DOS and RTE

Sancho Villa, Roberto rsancho at indra.es
Mon Nov 7 09:03:32 EST 2016

Hi

I've been trying to install old OS from Bitsavers paper tapes via system generation.
Really fun and challenging!

I've got successes but problems remain

DOS-III -> generates, boots and run.

*         The problem is when I try to include in system generation assembler or fortran. Tape is loaded, but instead of *EOT message I got and undocumented in manual DISC NOT READY message.
DOS -> generates ok, boots but run badly

*         I got the command prompt. But when trying any command I got a MP (memory protect) error message, and returns to command prompt
DOS-M -> generates ok, does not boot

*         No way to get it running. I've used SimH boot command, bootstrap papertape and even the BBL loader typed in SimH via deposit command.
RTE-II -> generates ok, boots buts run badly

*         When booting I get a FMGR 02 error. I've formatted the disc as stated in manual, but error persists.

*         I cannot run any interactive program. Eg: RU,EDITR -> I got the / prompt, but it returns to * prompt inmediatelly. RU,WHZAT runs fine

I've developed some quick and dirty tools to extract paper tape files from bitsaver fmgr tape files. Also a very usefull .rel format analyzer to get the import and export object list. This is handly on figuring out which paper tape file is missing to solve UNDEF EXTS errors when generating the system.

I'me sure I doing something wrong. But I cannot see what. I really need help at this point.
Can some HP2100 user/expert/lover help me?

All disc files and SimH scripts available on demand.

Many thanks in advance.
Roberto

(sorry for my non native sub optimal English)

Este correo electr?nico y, en su caso, cualquier fichero anexo al mismo, contiene informaci?n de car?cter confidencial exclusivamente dirigida a su destinatario o destinatarios. Si no es vd. el destinatario indicado, queda notificado que la lectura, utilizaci?n, divulgaci?n y/o copia sin autorizaci?n est? prohibida en virtud de la legislaci?n vigente. En el caso de haber recibido este correo electr?nico por error, se ruega notificar inmediatamente esta circunstancia mediante reenv?o a la direcci?n electr?nica del remitente.
Evite imprimir este mensaje si no es estrictamente necesario.

This email and any file attached to it (when applicable) contain(s) confidential information that is exclusively addressed to its recipient(s). If you are not the indicated recipient, you are informed that reading, using, disseminating and/or copying it without authorisation is forbidden in accordance with the legislation in effect. If you have received this email by mistake, please immediately notify the sender of the situation by resending it to their email address.
Avoid printing this message if it is not absolutely necessary.