[Simh] HP2100 old DOS and RTE

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Mon Nov 7 23:10:40 EST 2016

Hi Roberto,

On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 15:03, Sancho Villa, Roberto wrote:

> DOS-III -> generates, boots and run.
> DOS -> generates ok, boots but run badly
> DOS-M -> generates ok, does not boot
> RTE-II -> generates ok, boots buts run badly

I have DOS-III, RTE-M, RTE-II, RTE-III, RTE-IV, RTE-IVB, and RTE-6/VM
running here without problems.  I've not tried DOS or DOS-M, but I suspect
that they should work well too.

One thing to check first: be sure that you're setting the correct CPU type
and memory size when running these systems.  The default is a very basic
2116 with no EAU or FP instructions.  Missing instructions are executed as
NOPs (no-operations) by these CPUs, which will definitely cause problems if
any of the above OSes are trying to use them.  The above systems should
work if the CPU is configured at least as a 2100.

> All disc files and SimH scripts available on demand.

Please send them (ZIPped) to me directly, and I'll look them over.
Especially please send the logs of the system generations, as all of the
early sysgen programs would accept some invalid inputs without giving error
messages.

                                      -- Dave