[Simh] Problem with "set console telnet=... " on MicroVAX3900 simulator

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Wed May 11 22:53:49 EDT 2016

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 7:00 PM, Christian Gauger-Cosgrove wrote:
> On 11 May 2016 at 20:18,  <malcolm at avitech.com.au> wrote:
> > [error description snipped]
> I can confirm that this error exists also in the PDP-11 simulator and
> PDP-10 emulators (and probably others).Versions prior to X'E05DE3E5',
> specifically the last Windows pre-built binary X'3A4E879C' function fine.
>
> I also tested using the (horrible) Microsoft telnet client, which also is unable
> to connect to the PDP-11 simulator. (It prints "All connections busy" and then
> "Connection to host lost.")

The basic telnet to the console is a generic facility shared by all simulators so
if there is a problem in one it will be in all.

> > My simh.ini file is attached.  I’ve experimented with commenting out
> > the line that auto-starts PuTTY.  It makes no difference whether this
> > is in out (I get the same problem when I attempt to manually start PuTTY).
>
> Your INI file seems fine, and is similar to the INI for my PDP-11 simulator (see
> attached).
>
> > Anyone else had a similar problem, or a suggestion for what I am doing
> > wrong here?
> >
> I believe the problem is that either commit X'E05DE3E5', X'7B3E63AA',
> X'3FADB7E3', X'ED4631B8', or a combination of them (sorry Mark!) broke
> something in the handling of CONSOLE telnet, while making the multiplexer
> telnet more capable.

Well, before looking too closely for this, I tried with the latest source and it
works as we expected.  The prebuilt Windows binaries are only generated
when I feel like something useful has changed.  I was planning on generating
new binaries later this week, but since this problem is fixed with the latest
code, I built and pushed out a revised set just now.   I'll leave finding
exactly what was wrong (which has already been fixed) as an exercise for
someone more interested than me.

> As an aside, DMC11/DMR11 in RSTS/E still doesn't work; mentioning that
> since my PDP-11 INI defines some DMR11s, which don't work in RSTS/E 10.1-
> L.

As for addressing this problem.  Paul Koning provided me with a test case
and the driver code which is raising the issue, but I haven't had time to dig
into the specifics.

- Mark