[Simh] Interdata/OS32 startup

Davis Johnson davis at frizzen.com
Thu Jan 28 21:13:28 EST 2016

Put the list back on. There is a remote chance somebody else might be
interested.

As for your questions...

1) Old habit. I used to install and support these things. For about five
years if it was sold into Maryland, Virginia or North Carolina I
probably did the software installation. Supposedly I had part of West
Virginia as well. We must not have sold any into West Virginia...

Any way, by using larger tape block sizes on real 9 track tape you can
get a LOT more on a tape. Big block sizes require memory, hence the big
load increment. With a  150K block size and a 3600 foot tape you could
back up a 67MB disk on one reel. If you wisely  want to make a verify
pass you need two buffers, hence the 300K load increment. Makes a
difference when you have a room full of washing machines.

You probably didn't need a load increment here.

2) You are correct.

3) You are running a "starter" OS that has one each of all common
devices of the era. If you do a 'D D' command you will notice that a
bunch of the devices share addresses. You are expected to do a sysgen to
match your hardware configuration. What you did is probably the easiest
way to go.

4) You don't have to do a sysgen to get a system that boots from disc.
One of the files from the  backup tape was OS32MTS1.001 (or something
like that). Set up low memory correctly and the bootstrap program in the
LSU ROM will load that OS image. It is the same image you are already
running.

You will probably want to do a sysgen to configure your system.
Especially if you want to run MTM. Running OS/32 without doing a sysgen
is probably more reasonable on SIMH than real hardware.

5)  That is the 001 in OS32MTS1.001. The bootstrap ROM looks for a file
with a name OS32-.xxx.  By convention .111 is reserved for the
diagnostic loader. If you do a sysgen you will probably use a different
name.

6) Keyboard mapping is a challenge. You need to find the operator
reference manual. The big one is that control-H is your backspace, your
terminal emulator may be generating DEL. There are multiple OS/32 serial
terminal drivers, and sysgenable parameters for all of them. Another
reason to do a sysgen.

Sounds like I need to send you input files for OS/32 and MTM sysgens.