[Simh] RSTS/E 10.1-L and Paper tape

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 10:08:11 EST 2016

Johnny,

Thanks for the information. Responses inline.

On 1/6/16 8:44 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> There is no way to software wise reset the paper tape from the OS. The
> paper tape is a physical thing. I real life, you would need to
> actually take the paper tape and "mount" it in the reader, and set the
> reader online. And after that, the tape can be read by software.

I get it... now :), thanks.

> As for transferring files to and from your RSTS/E system, you do know
> of KERMIT, right? Telnet into the RSTS/E system, start a kermit server
> there, switch back to your local kermit, and then send/receive files
> to your hearts content.

Ha! Let's just say that I used KERMIT once back in the early 90's and
have never used it since. I seem to recall something called zmodem that
was easier to use (at least for the year my wife was in grad school and
I had to connect to the internet through my DEC Rainbow 100 running DOS
3.10b and a super fast 300 baud modem to the university's VMS system).
But then again, it was all ftp and browsers the year after that (and a
486 with 56K modem, Windows 95, and trumpet tcp I think). I may be old
enough for vague recollections of bbses and such, but experientially,
I'm solidly post tcp/ip, post-Mosaic, and post www. Everything old is
new to me!

When you say, start a kermit server, I don't think there is one already
on the system. I have to get it on the system somehow first. If there's
a tape or disk image available that RSTS can use, then it's just a
matter of installing and running it. I say just, I'm still getting up to
speed on installing and running programs in RSTS. I'll be working on it...

> Other options could be using a disk with the files on it, setting up
> tapes, but also, if simh supports it, possibly using the virtual DOS
> device, that other emulators have, as well as using DECnet.

Does the virtual DOS device work in linux/mac?

As for "using" DECnet... hmm, I'm working on getting DECnet working, the
install and configuration of sim seem to be reasonable. I just don't
know what to do with it once it's running. This is my refrain, I'm
working on it :). The list of items on my "To Understand" list far
outnumber the "Understood" list. My unfounded belief is that DECnet is
quite different from modern networking and that it doesn't have a
toolset that I'm familiar with - no ping, no ssh, no telnet, not even
rcp or rsh and such so if I get it running. What might a copy from host
to sim look like? copy HOST:FILE SY:FILE or something similar?

> If you have some RSX, RT-11 or VMS system nearby, you can also use
> TCP/IP on those systems, and then transfer using one of the above
> suggested methods to just get the files over to RSTS/E.
I only have simh systems, no real systems. I have RT-11, but I don't
think it has TCP/IP. I'll be working on it...

Thanks,

Will