[Simh] RSTS/E 10.1-L and Paper tape

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 11:11:07 EST 2016

On 1/6/16 9:08 AM, Will Senn wrote:
> Johnny escribe:
>> As for transferring files to and from your RSTS/E system, you do know
>> of KERMIT, right? Telnet into the RSTS/E system, start a kermit
>> server there, switch back to your local kermit, and then send/receive
>> files to your hearts content.

OK. I'm making progress. I downloaded K11RSX.HEX from
ftp://kermit.columbia.edu/kermit/b/ along with K11HEX.BAS and using my
nifty paper tape reader (after running unix2dos on the files) I got them
on RSTS. I then ran K11HEX.BAS and converted K11RSX.HEX to K11RSX.TSK and:

$ run K11RSX.TSK
Kermit-11 T3.60  Last edit: 21-Mar-89

Check SHOW RELEASE_NOTES for possible incompatabilities
with previous releases of Kermit-11 and other Kermits.
Linked for RSX11M/M+ and P/OS
Kermit-11>

Will you look at that?

On my Mac, I brew install'd c-kermit and now I am able to run Kermit on
both ends of the connect. Kermit will even do telnet, so I have telnet'd
to one of the DZ connections successfully.

If you want to share how you actually do a file transfer using the
amazing kermit, I would appreciate it. Meanwhile, I'm busy reading docs
and googling to figure it out.

Thanks,

Will