[Simh] RSTS/E 10.1-L and Paper tape

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Jan 6 09:44:06 EST 2016

On 2016-01-06 15:35, Will Senn wrote:

>>> Yes, RSTS does support those.  I don't know why Sysgen doesn't ask.
>>> It doesn't ask about DECtape, either.  Perhaps they are no longer
>>> officially supported, but the software should be there and it should
>>> work.
>>>
>>> After running sysgen but before running the resulting sysgen.com
>>> script, edit config.mac.  Look for the line that mentions PR11 and
>>> change the 0 to 1, then the next line (PP11) also 0 change to 1.
>>> While you're there, if you want DECtape, change TC11 (just above
>>> PR11) to be the number of DECtape drives.  Typically that's an even
>>> number because a TU56 has two DECtape drives in it.
>>>
>>>     paul
>>>
>> I followed the steps Paul provided with Christian's clarification and
>> am now able to copy files to the paper tape punch device PP:...
>>
>> $ copy instal.log pp:
>> [File INSTAL.LOG copied to PP:[1,2]]
>>
>> The ptp.txt file on the host now contains the contents of instal.log
>> from rsts/e. Woohoo, half way there...
>>
>> but copying files from PR: doesn't seem to work:
>> $ copy pr: hello.mac
>> ?Device hung or write locked - file PR:??????.???
>>
>> I tried PR0: as well, same result. Is the copy command different from
>> what I typed? or do I need to enable read on the PR device somehow?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Will
>>

> Update. If the copy is the first thing after attaching ptr in simh, it
> works:
> $ copy PR: HELLO.MAC
> [File PR:??????.??? copied to [1,2]HELLO .MAC]
> $ macro/rt11 hello/list
> $ link/rt11 hello/map
> $ run hello
> HELLO, WORLD
>
> Any subsequent use of PR fails (which makes sense, really, after all,
> the PTR should be positioned after the read):
> ?Device hung or write locked - file PR:??????.???
>
> until ptr is attached again. I'm not sure how I missed this the first go
> around, I didn't think it ever succeeded, but I've verified that it
> seems to always works after an attach. Is there a
> reset/rewind/reposition device function that will work with PR in RSTS?
> I can work around it with reattachment in SIMH if all else fails.

There is no way to software wise reset the paper tape from the OS. The
paper tape is a physical thing. I real life, you would need to actually
take the paper tape and "mount" it in the reader, and set the reader
online. And after that, the tape can be read by software.

As for transferring files to and from your RSTS/E system, you do know of
KERMIT, right? Telnet into the RSTS/E system, start a kermit server
there, switch back to your local kermit, and then send/receive files to
your hearts content.

Other options could be using a disk with the files on it, setting up
tapes, but also, if simh supports it, possibly using the virtual DOS
device, that other emulators have, as well as using DECnet.

If you have some RSX, RT-11 or VMS system nearby, you can also use
TCP/IP on those systems, and then transfer using one of the above
suggested methods to just get the files over to RSTS/E.

	Johnny