[Simh] RSTS/E 10.1-L and Paper tape

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 09:35:06 EST 2016

On 1/5/16 11:38 PM, Will Senn wrote:

> On 1/5/16 7:14 PM, Paul Koning wrote:
>>> On Jan 5, 2016, at 5:07 PM, Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> The simulated paper tape device is very handy to copy text around
>>> between a host and simulated environment. My question for the group
>>> is, does RSTS/E 10.1-L support the paper tape device? The
>>> documentation is sketchy about it but does make a rare reference to
>>> PP: and PR: (help for SYSTAT for example), but it wasn't a question
>>> during sysgen and I can't figure out how to copy files to it. In
>>> RT-11, it's as simple as copy whatever PC: or copy PC: whatever...
>> Yes, RSTS does support those.  I don't know why Sysgen doesn't ask.
>> It doesn't ask about DECtape, either.  Perhaps they are no longer
>> officially supported, but the software should be there and it should
>> work.
>>
>> After running sysgen but before running the resulting sysgen.com
>> script, edit config.mac.  Look for the line that mentions PR11 and
>> change the 0 to 1, then the next line (PP11) also 0 change to 1.
>> While you're there, if you want DECtape, change TC11 (just above
>> PR11) to be the number of DECtape drives.  Typically that's an even
>> number because a TU56 has two DECtape drives in it.
>>
>>     paul
>>
> I followed the steps Paul provided with Christian's clarification and
> am now able to copy files to the paper tape punch device PP:...
>
> $ copy instal.log pp:
> [File INSTAL.LOG copied to PP:[1,2]]
>
> The ptp.txt file on the host now contains the contents of instal.log
> from rsts/e. Woohoo, half way there...
>
> but copying files from PR: doesn't seem to work:
> $ copy pr: hello.mac
> ?Device hung or write locked - file PR:??????.???
>
> I tried PR0: as well, same result. Is the copy command different from
> what I typed? or do I need to enable read on the PR device somehow?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Will

Update. If the copy is the first thing after attaching ptr in simh, it
works:
$ copy PR: HELLO.MAC
[File PR:??????.??? copied to [1,2]HELLO .MAC]
$ macro/rt11 hello/list
$ link/rt11 hello/map
$ run hello
HELLO, WORLD

Any subsequent use of PR fails (which makes sense, really, after all,
the PTR should be positioned after the read):
?Device hung or write locked - file PR:??????.???

until ptr is attached again. I'm not sure how I missed this the first go
around, I didn't think it ever succeeded, but I've verified that it
seems to always works after an attach. Is there a
reset/rewind/reposition device function that will work with PR in RSTS?
I can work around it with reattachment in SIMH if all else fails.

Thanks,

Will