[Simh] RSTS/E 10.1-L and Paper tape

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 00:38:00 EST 2016

On 1/5/16 7:14 PM, Paul Koning wrote:
>> On Jan 5, 2016, at 5:07 PM, Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> All,
>>
>> The simulated paper tape device is very handy to copy text around between a host and simulated environment. My question for the group is, does RSTS/E 10.1-L support the paper tape device? The documentation is sketchy about it but does make a rare reference to PP: and PR: (help for SYSTAT for example), but it wasn't a question during sysgen and I can't figure out how to copy files to it. In RT-11, it's as simple as copy whatever PC: or copy PC: whatever...
> Yes, RSTS does support those.  I don't know why Sysgen doesn't ask.  It doesn't ask about DECtape, either.  Perhaps they are no longer officially supported, but the software should be there and it should work.
>
> After running sysgen but before running the resulting sysgen.com script, edit config.mac.  Look for the line that mentions PR11 and change the 0 to 1, then the next line (PP11) also 0 change to 1.  While you're there, if you want DECtape, change TC11 (just above PR11) to be the number of DECtape drives.  Typically that's an even number because a TU56 has two DECtape drives in it.
>
> 	paul

I followed the steps Paul provided with Christian's clarification and am
now able to copy files to the paper tape punch device PP:...

$ copy instal.log pp:
[File INSTAL.LOG copied to PP:[1,2]]

The ptp.txt file on the host now contains the contents of instal.log
from rsts/e. Woohoo, half way there...

but copying files from PR: doesn't seem to work:
$ copy pr: hello.mac
?Device hung or write locked - file PR:??????.???

I tried PR0: as well, same result. Is the copy command different from
what I typed? or do I need to enable read on the PR device somehow?

Thanks,

Will