[Simh] RSTS/E 10.1-L and Paper tape

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 20:40:17 EST 2016

On 1/5/16 7:14 PM, Paul Koning wrote:
> Yes, RSTS does support those.  I don't know why Sysgen doesn't ask.  It doesn't ask about DECtape, either.  Perhaps they are no longer officially supported, but the software should be there and it should work.
>
> After running sysgen but before running the resulting sysgen.com script, edit config.mac.  Look for the line that mentions PR11 and change the 0 to 1, then the next line (PP11) also 0 change to 1.  While you're there, if you want DECtape, change TC11 (just above PR11) to be the number of DECtape drives.  Typically that's an even number because a TU56 has two DECtape drives in it.
Wow, thanks, learning more and more with each passing day about this
nifty os. The option is there if I run sysgen after I've installed the
system and I don't mind editing the config.mac file at all. Is it
possible to edit the file while the sysgen monitor is running, during
the install, before it builds? As far as I can tell, there is not a
chance to customize the install outside of the dialogues, while it's
running.

I'm not that familiar with RSTS, but in unix, I could background the
installer, make my edits, pull the installer back into the foreground
and continue.

Thanks,

Will