[Simh] How to set up network bridge for SIMH on Solaris host?

lists at openmailbox.org lists at openmailbox.org
Sun Jan 3 07:39:34 EST 2016

Hi,

On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 04:24:23 -0800
Mark Pizzolato <Mark at infocomm.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 1:46 AM, lists at openmailbox.org	wrote:
> > Can anyone please explain how to set up a network bridge on a Solaris
> > host for SIMH? I have searched the net and can't find any examples of
> > people running SIMH on Solaris. Thank you.
>
> I haven't tried building on Solaris for quite a while, but things should
> still work.

I don't think that it doesn't work. I just don't have much idea what I'm
doing.

> Can you explain what you are trying to achieve with your 'network bridge'?

I may not even be using the correct terms. I want the VMS OS instance
running on SIMH to be able to use the network of the Solaris host. If I run
it as root it works fine. If I run it as a user it doesn't.

I found magic recipes for Linux and OpenBSD hosts running SIMH and they
work fine. I don't know how to get it to work on a Solaris host.

> Can you describe the network topology you're working with and which
> devices on the network you'd like your simh instance to communicate with?

I would like it to be able to use the host network as transparently as
possible without running as root. It should be able to serve telnet and ftp
(no competing instances running on the host) and apps running under VMS
should be able to reach the internet via ftp, etc.

Thank you.