[Simh] How to set up network bridge for SIMH on Solaris host?

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Sun Jan 3 07:49:58 EST 2016

On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 4:40 AM, lists at openmailbox.org wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 04:24:23 -0800 Mark Pizzolato <Mark at infocomm.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 1:46 AM, lists at openmailbox.org
> 	wrote:
> > > Can anyone please explain how to set up a network bridge on a Solaris
> > > host for SIMH? I have searched the net and can't find any examples of
> > > people running SIMH on Solaris. Thank you.
> >
> > I haven't tried building on Solaris for quite a while, but things should
> > still work.
>
> I don't think that it doesn't work. I just don't have much idea what I'm
> doing.
>
> > Can you explain what you are trying to achieve with your 'network bridge'?
>
> I may not even be using the correct terms. I want the VMS OS instance
> running on SIMH to be able to use the network of the Solaris host. If I run
> it as root it works fine. If I run it as a user it doesn't.
>
> I found magic recipes for Linux and OpenBSD hosts running SIMH and they
> work fine. I don't know how to get it to work on a Solaris host.
>
> > Can you describe the network topology you're working with and which
> > devices on the network you'd like your simh instance to communicate
> with?
>
> I would like it to be able to use the host network as transparently as
> possible without running as root. It should be able to serve telnet and ftp
> (no competing instances running on the host) and apps running under VMS
> should be able to reach the internet via ftp, etc.

Have you tried:
	sim> ATTACH XQ NAT:

You should look at "HELP XQ ATTACH"

You can setup incoming port mappings which will route host ports to simulated ports so FTP and TELNET can work as well.  If you want to use standard TELNET and FTP ports you will have to run as root to bind those network ports.

If this isn't available for you, please supply the complete make output produced when building your VAX simulator.

- Mark